Monday, September 03, 2007

de-evolution

I gotta admit I’m not a fan of Rice Krispie Treats®, that ubiquitous treat invented at Iowa State University of Science and Technology in the 1930s. I didn’t eat them as a kid, but my kid did, so when my friend brought them to the Meredith English majors’ bake sale in 1998 and the young college women gobbled them up, I figured the kids had grown up, still liking the food that made them kid-happy, a kind of dumming down of the taste buds. Today I discovered Rice Krispie Treats are sold as a boxed cookie at the grocery store….did you know that? Rice Krispie Treats® have four ingredients and take fifteen minutes to make, but if you don’t have the time or the microwave, you can take twenty minutes to run down to your favorite food mart and buy yourself some ready-made, and they probably come with a lot more than four ingredients.

My friend who makes her own noodles for chicken noodle soup was not impressed.

No comments: